Thursday 12 December 2013

Brody (in English version)

As a casual worker in Childcare Centre, I get different children every time I have assignment. Last week, I got assignment not so far from my house. This is the first time I work there. They asked me to work in toddler’s room (1.5 – 2 years old)

In this level of age, children are still unadorned. They still want to listen and obey what the carer told. Although does not mean there is no disobeying children. On my first day, I started to understand one by one, character of the children. On my second day, when time to packing up all toys on the yard, including obstacle course, we the carer have to undo the obstacle course. A boy, just call him Brody in this writing, holding one of the obstacle course and didn’t allow me to pack up.

Actually, we childcare centre worker have code ethic which doesn’t allow us to share children’s details or problems happen in the centre. A policy called confidential. That is why I don’t mention the true identity of this boy and the centre.



Anyway, on my third day I worked I was packing up the obstacle course again. This time I have stored it inside the shed. Brody came to the shed and tried to climb the obstacle course. I took him from it and put him outside the shed and shut the shed. He cried, with his facedown on to carpeted ground. I tried to calm him by telling him he still able to play with it on Monday. But that doesn’t stop him. A carer shouted from the next yard called Brody to calm him … made me feel “I am the most mean carer in the world.” Another carer asked “ What happened to him?” I told her what was happened and she said “Oh, really?” Sound like she doesn’t believe me.

Do you know what happen next? I was sitting down on sofa reading story for another children, Brody came of no where, drop his face on my lap and crying. He doesn’t move although I pat him, and calm him … he keep on crying, made a big spot of wet and slubbery on my pants. It gave me an impression that: he was really sad because all toys has been packed up = the centre, where he have fun will soon be closed.

Brody is an Indigenous Australian (I am not sure whether he is aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander). From his clothes and lunch that his parent supplied for him, I reckon he is coming from a poor family. As most of Indigenous family are. If I may be honest, Indigenous children are typical stubborn and seem enjoy giving distress moment to adult, not to mention suerring attitude. But, Brody is not like that. I imagined he got home, and have to play with broken car toys. Or maybe he doesn’t has at all. By the way, not long time after the crying incident, Brody has to go home because the bus has came. He, less than 2 years old boy, come and go with bus to the centre. I feel really sorry to him, but as a carer there is nothing else I can do then give him the best care at the centre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment