Wednesday 13 November 2013

Murray Street

This particular street located not so far from where I live. It is also relatively not far from the center of the city (Cairns). In this “special” street there are some houses which are dwelled by people by the financial help from the government. What is the criteria to get this financial assistance, I don’t really know. But, what I know is; most of Murray street dweller are Indigenous. Indigenous is the word to refer Australian original people, who were there before European come to this continent. There are 2 main people in Australian Indigenous category: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander. They are all has the same race, even some of East Indonesian have the same race.

If you got a chance to visit Cairns or Darwin, both of it are in North part of Australia. You will see Indigenous people walking in every corner of the city and sleep in the park. These people are unemployment. Although I didn't quote from any sources, if you ask about this to Australian they will vote “yes” as harmony as a choir :D But, this condition is not for all Indigenous. Some of them are working, and even have careers.

Back to Murray St. in this street, physical fight is often happen, worse when those who hate each other are drunk. Several times I read in the local newspaper, there are robberies in the public bus when passing this street. This is not a common thing in this city. I couldn’t even imagine how, since every time I take a bus everything seems organize, much more organize compare to public transport in Indonesia.

 This street is also famous for the inconvenience and insecure situation. The result? Property in this street is really cheap. A house was advertised for Au$ 299,000. In other area, the same kind of house will be priced Au$ 400,000 – 500,000.

Coincidentally when I worked as a volunteer in a visitor information centre, one of my colleague who later on become my close friend live in that street. She is from Papua New Guinea, her name is J. Another coincident, I have other friend live in the same street. Her name is Y, we met in the church. 

From all address in this whole city, if I have to choose, I won’t have anything to do with Murray St. It is my nature that I will avoid problem if I could. Especially I am in a foreign country. But, this life is not as that simple. Who will thought I knew two people (families) from this street?

J once (or even more) is frustrate living in this street. She got broken into at least twice. In those events her family lost (for temporary) three of their cars. Money and everything in the wallet are gone forever. Police caught the thief who is J’s next door neighbour. Cars are returned. But, who in this world want to have this kind of event, more than one time? It is understandable her anxiety, having these people as a neighbour. According to her, in one day there could be three household having a fight. She knew it because they make a lot of noise. With all of what happening, J sometime look really upset to the Indigenous.

Different story with Y. When city where we live (Cairns) has its annual festival, one of it is Cane Field Burning Festival, I saw her two kids amongst hundreds of people there. I said hi to them. I was in that festival with a friend Jn, her daughter, her mom and her partner. After a while, I saw Y was talking with someone, maybe her extended family, … I said to her too from a distance.

About 3 hours we were there, waiting the burning of the field. When finally they burn it, only took a minute for the fire reach the other side of the field. It is also very quick to extinguish. Before the fire off on the last flame, we were in a hurry ran from the field before smoke fill the air.

When we finally in the car, my friend’s daughter tried to find her i-pod in her bag. Then, she realize that is missing. She cried. We ran back to where we were sitting. We didn’t find it. The next day , Jn text me ; “your friend” contact me about the i-pod. Her kids found it. She went to Murray St. to pick her daughter’s i-pod. She giving a comment to me “I was surprise someone from Murray St. return the i-pod."  This thing would possibly price Au$ 400. Well, I was surprise too … I mean, from hundreds people in that festival, the only people I knew (other than Jn) found it. By the way, Chelsea, Jn’s daughter said she put her i-pod in her bag’s pocket but maybe it was missed and fall on to the ground. When we were sit on our camping chair, no one approach us. So, maybe it is true that what made the i-pod missing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment